Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cakes on Walnut

We visited Cakes on Walnut the other night for book club. We got there about 8 o'clock and there was one other group in the place. It was nice to basically have the place to ourselves and we all hopped in line for food and drinks.

Starting out, Cakes on Walnut has a few marks against. First of all, it is in my second least favorite part of town (downtown, first is campus). Because of it's location, there is little or no parking, which is another black mark. There are various parking lots in the area and if it had been daylight or I had been with a group, I would have felt more comfortable walking a further distance. As it was, it was 8 pm and I was alone and wanted to park as close as possible. Finally, there were no signs identifying what the place was. I circled the block 3 different times looking for it, until I finally saw a car I recognized and figured it had to be close by.

My next issue was that they were out of everything I ordered(mini Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcake, Japanese Cherry and Earl Grey tea). I was able to make substitutions but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Of course, we were there at 8pm but if they are open, I expect them to have a full selection available. I was also unimpressed with the service and the knowledge of the products by the employee. She moved very slowly and despite the fact that we were nearly the only people in the place, managed to develop quite a long line. I also realize that tea isn't their main product, but if they sell it, their employees should know some tea basics. Like that strawberry white probably isn't the closest to the Japanese Cherry black. Just because they have fruit flavors, doesn't make them the same or even close.

The tea also had some problems. It is brewed hot and poured over ice to make iced tea. This has two issues. One, it melts all the ice in the cup, leaving you with tepid tea and no ice. The other problem is that it melts all the ice and waters down the tea. I will occasionally make tea that way home but I know to make it stronger than normal and use a ton of ice.

In short, not the place to go for tea.

I got a small Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcake which is a cinnamon cupcake topped with chocolate icing. The cake was quite dry. It could be just the way they are or it could have been because we there at 8 at night and the cupcakes had been sitting out all day. Either way, I could have done without the cupcake. The icing was absolutely delish though! It was a light, whipped icing and was not too sweet.

The cost was really high too. The small cupcake is $2.75 (the mini is only $1) and the tea was $2.50. That is about on par for other coffee shops in the area but for that kind of price I expect something better than what I can make at home.

In my opinion, you should save yourself the hassle of trying to park downtown, grab a six pack of cupcakes from the grocery store (or make yourself a couple dozen at home), hit Walnut Street Tea Company and get yourself a whole box of Twinnings flavored tea for the same price as one cupcake and glass of iced tea. Share it with someone you love.

Final verdict? 1 stars because the icing was fantastic. It merits a star all on it's own and carries the whole place

6 comments:

  1. I went recently and was underwhelmed as well. With the exception of the icing (which I would give an arm to learn to make), there was nothing outstanding. I can make the same quality cupcakes at home, and the tea (I DID get Strawberry White) was nice but not nice enough to justify the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about everything. So expensive, cake was dry, etc, etc.. I think if they're going to stay open late they should have someone making cupcakes in the morning and then again in the afternoon/early evening. It would have been WONDERFUL to get a fresh cupcake. But they did have alcohol so I just drank and everything tasted a little better. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also not impressed. I can make those cupcakes at home, and $8.50 for a glass of wine? Not again. When the employee poured my drink, she let it spill all down the side of the glass, and never bothered to wipe it off. My cupcakes were also dry. I agree - 1 star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So disappointing- I really wanted to try it- just because I LOVE anything dessert, especially cupcakes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always felt like they could have a different business model and make it a more interesting place to go. If you're going to charge that much, make the best cupcakes you can, let customers choose their own frosting and an add-on (sprinkles, caramel, etc.), kinda like the "Cold Stone Creamery" model. Make more varieties of cupcakes, keep them cool (to keep them moist), and give people some choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i’ve had them fresh and it doesn’t help. i can make a cupcake 1,000 times better at home. and the ambience and service were also completely unexceptional. i can’t believe they’re still in business.

    ReplyDelete